Sunday 30 June 2013

Day 2

So we now know Cornwall and Devon are very, very, very, hilly. Today we climbed over 7000 ft, which, quite frankly, was the toughest day in the saddle I have ever had. After two miles i had managed to get us lost in a farmers field which took us about an hour to get out of. We then caught the ferry across the Fowey estuary ....
And then the proper climbing started, 16% gradients were quite common for mile after mile, the good thing about them was the descents! I have never reached such speeds before. Top speed 47mph (without really pushing as two many ponies and cows!) but regularly over 40mph for minutes at a time. Dartmoor was amazing, one of the most challenging but beautiful rides ever, makes me think that I might have to tackle an Alpe of two in the future... But for the moment I'll stick to the task in hand. We've now done 150 miles in two days... Cheddar tomorrow and hopefully an easier day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment