Wednesday 5 June 2013

First Group Ride

Ian, our brummie habitant ride companion, text me at 7am on Saturday advising he was on a train headed towards London. Which was nice. So with a quick stop at Marylebone we headed over to Essex for a sprackle out to Mersey island. 

I was looking forward to this as I'd just spent £190 on a new back wheel and a full service, so was expecting my bike to sing along without the usual jolts and clangs. Which thankfully it did. I'm not touching it now until the ride! 

After a few of the usual running repairs, and a few fags on Ian's part, we set off. 

It turns out that all of our training and bike customisation has been a waste of time! Judging by Ian's incredible speed and climbing ability, I should have just started smoking 20 B&H a day and dancing in nightclubs until 3am fuelled only by an assortment of whiskeys. Who'd have guessed! 

We did 60 miles, at a reasonable pace and I felt fine afterwards so pretty pleased about that. Might go to Surrey again this weekend to hit some hills, then again I could just buy a bottle of Jack Daniels and a pack of Golden Virginia and stay in watching reruns of diagnosis murder and the Jeremy Kyle Omnibus. Probably just as good... 

No comments:

Post a Comment